Janie commits to a clear 21st century learning vision: Preparing students to become globally competitive in an increasingly interconnected world is her top priority.
- Believes that 21st century skills must be built on the foundation of core academic subject matter expertise among all students; will continue to champion student achievement
- Prepared to challenge the Superintendent to deliver concrete results from the implementation of education technology: Plans to increase efficiencies in the “business” side of education. An example is the implementation of an efficient enterprise resource planning system in partnership with the Board of Supervisors
- Envisions use of cost savings to create state-of-the-art, interdisciplinary, inter-connected classrooms even in times of scarce resources
Janie values economic stability in Fairfax: Our schools are the “crown jewel of Virginia. Janie’s focus on student achievement and her leadership in building our schools’ reputation directly affects our economy.
- Businesses move to Fairfax to take advantage of the FCPS school system
- Jobs are attractive for employees because they are assured of a quality education system
- Schools positively affect our real estate values
Janie promises to continue to deliver in Dranesville: Her specific ideas on continuous improvement are grounded in 18 years of educational experience with a clear vision for the future.
- Reduce class-size in Dranesville; continue customized education via flexible learning plans
- Retain and attract talented teachers to maintain our world-class classroom instruction
- Challenge long-standing assumptions such as seat time to ensure competency is rewarded
- Instill STEM (Science Technology Math and Engineering) in Dranesville
- Improve holistic, well-rounded education via firm commitment to music, the arts, and athletics
- Prepare students for a multi-cultural global future by investing in foreign languages
- Deliver critical thinking, communication, and collaboration and information technology skills
- Reduce the emphasis on burdensome tests by informing state and federal legislation
- Advocate to vote for the bond referendum to enable capital improvements
- Commit to viable, thought-through, and responsive changes in our discipline policy
- Encourage wellness initiatives on nutrition, exercise, and sleep
- Maintain transparency, accountability and two-way communication with stakeholders